All Documents are in PDF format

Permit applications can be emailed to: or

Permit applications can be mailed to: 4814 Henry Street, Norton Shores, MI 49441

Permit applications can also be delivered in person to City Hall Building Division

Please note, permit applications will not be accepted without a signature

There is also a link to make an electronic payment (convenience charges apply)

You will need the permit number and job address in order to make an electronic payment

Please contact us with any questions or concerns

Right of Way Permits (Streets Division)

Click Right of Way Permits (Streets Division) for the Application

A permit is needed to work in the Road Right of Way

Please contact the Streets Division for questions regarding Right of Way Permits (231) 798-2156

A 2 (business) day advance notice is required prior to commencing work in the Right of Way

Don't forget to call 1-800-MISS DIG (1-800-482-7171)

DEQ Regulations (Critical Dunes)

Click DEQ Regulations (Critical Dunes) for the Application & Maps

Sand Dunes - The most fragile areas of Michigan's dunes can be protected while balancing the benefits of economic development, multiple human uses and benefits of public access and enjoyment through the protection of steep, erosive slopes, using alternative construction techniques to reduce the impacts of development on dunes, and protecting dune vegetation essential to dune preservation and stability Michigan's critical dune areas are protected. Earth-moving, vegetation removal, and construction activities within a critical dune area are regulated through a permit program.  For more information, please visit:,4561,7-135-3311_4114---,00.html

The City of Norton Shores works with the State of Michigan for DEQ Permits - 

Contact: Nancy Cuncannan

Telephone: (616) 690-1229


Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control (SESC)

Click Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control (SESC) for the Application

The massive quantity of dirt entering the State waterways each year is damaging and costly, therefore:

A SESC permit is generally required for any earth change that disturbs one or more acres, or is within 500 feet of a lake or stream.  For more information, please go to:

The City of Norton Shores works with the County of Muskegon for SESC Permits - 

Contact: Steve Fink     

Telephone: (231) 724-6522


Address: 131 E. Apple Avenue, 4th Floor, Muskegon, MI 49442